Wednesday, February 15, 2006

A new MFC development - 3D Biosignal Viewer

I have recently started a new project using MFC. Yes, it is still alive.Why in 2006 start something based on MFC ? Because OpenGL, basically.

I like C# and .Net, but I don’t like the wrappers I have seen for OpenGL so far. The best seems to be the Tao. I prefer to see the future of OpenGL inside Windows Vista before deciding to change to C# + OpenGL.

Another thing to take into account is if managed code is fast enough in order to develop real-time applications, mainly when we talk about computer graphics. Hidden code, garbage collector… uhmmm…

The application, called 3D Biosignal Viewer, is now only able to visualize two-variable functions and height maps (using techniques that are similar to the ones used in 3D terrain visualization).



The IDE and platform I’m using is Visual Studio 2005. A fantastic tool. A bit slow on my laptop. The MFC version seems to be 8.0, with some differences when the wizard template is created. Some improvements in this new version ? I don’t know which is the continuity of MFC, but it is still a good option for OpenGL developments.

On the other hand, C++ makes me feel more confident about performance.Which is going to be the future of C++ ? Are C# and Java going to kill it ?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.